President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has dispatched government appointees across the country to inaugurate the 38 newly created district assemblies.
He has asked them to convey to residents of the new districts his readiness to ensure the election of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) as scheduled.
The creation of the districts forms part of the government’s agenda to enhance the decentralisation process in order to speed up development.
Attorney-General, Gloria Akuffo who inaugurated the Ayawaso West Municipal Assembly in Accra Thursday, charged the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) and members to live above bickering and pursue peace at all times.
She asked them to rally behind the president’s agenda to ensure the participation of all Ghanaians in the governance of the country.
“You should be focused and committed in the pursuit of the agenda of the government,” she said.
At the inauguration of the Ablekuma West Municipal Assembly at Dansoman, the Communications Minister assured members of her continued support.
“I am committed to the development of programmes and plans which will inure to the benefit of the Assembly,” Ursula Owusu-Ekuful said, urging them to make the Assembly a model for Ghanaians.
Ghana can now boast of 254 districts but the process has not been smooth.
The creation of the new districts was characterised by agitations and bloody clashes among residents who had wanted the capital to be sited in their communities.
There is currently an injunction on the inauguration of the Abuakwa North Municipal Assembly at Akyem Kukurantumi in the Eastern Region.
Two residents of Old Tafo – Addo Sarpong and Adjei Boateng – are challenging the government’s decision to relocate the Assembly’s capital despite a 2017 Legislative Instrument to keep it at Akyem Tafo.
Below is the list of the newly created districts:
• Ahafo Ano South West District Assembly
• Ahafo Ano South East District Assembly
• Amansie South District Assembly
• Amansie West District Assembly
• Atwima Nwabiagya North District Assembly
• Adansi South District Assembly
• Akrofruom District Assembly
• Adansi North District Assembly
• Adansi Asokwa District Assembly
• Obuasi East District Assembly
• Afigya Kwabre South District Assembly
• Afigya Kwabre North District Assembly
• Pru West District Assembly)
• Pru East District Assembly)
• Berekum West District Assembly)
• Assin North District Assembly
• Gomoa Central District Assembly
• Gomoa East District Assembly
• Asene Manso District Assembly
• Okere District Assembly
• Atiwa West District Assembly
• Atiwa East District Assembly
• Fanteakwa South District Assembly
• Fanteakwa North District Assembly
• Nanton District Assembly
• Bunkpurugu District Assembly
• Yunyoo District Assembly)
• Bolga East District Assembly
• Garu District Assembly
• Tempane District Assembly